Trump Hollywood condos
In this case study we dive into the Trump Hollywood condos located in Hollywood beach, Florida. The showcase property was constructed in 2009 and is exposed daily to extreme environmental conditions. Learn how Kynar Aquatec® makes a difference in air-dry, field applies coatings.
Why was Kynar Aquatec® needed?
When it was constructed in 2009, Trump Hollywood was one of the most talked about new condos in Hollywood Beach, Florida. The showcase property is on an ideal beach between South Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Its unique, multi-angular structure helps the 41-floor structure stand out from its plain and boxy neighbors.
Because of its location and proximity to the ocean, the exterior of Trump Hollywood is exposed daily to extreme environmental conditions—including high UV rays, high humidity, salt spray, and windborne sand. Over the years these damaging environmental stressors served to break down the builder-applied acrylic coating on the building’s stucco surface, leaving it chalky and dull.
Beyond lackluster curb appeal, degraded coatings can leave a building’s substrate bare and open to damage from the elements. This can lead to costly, time-consuming repair or replacement of façade materials and can ultimately undermine the structural integrity of the property.
Action planBecause of the properties extreme environment and the desire not to have to inconvenience the residents with frequent repainting, the condominium board and consulting engineers, turned to APV Engineered Coatings and its line of NeverFade® Exterior Restoration Coatings. NeverFade® Coatings contain Kynar Aquatec®, a water-based polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) resin that is ideal for air-dry, field-applied coatings. The premium, weather-resistant coating can be easily applied to a variety of substrates, including metals, plastics, wood, concrete, stucco, EIFS, and previously painted surfaces.
The use of Kynar Aquatec® and complex inorganic pigments gives NeverFade® the ability to resist film erosion, chalking, and fading caused by harsh UV exposure.
What did the 1.5 year project include?
- A full-building inspection to identify areas where delaminated stucco needed to be replaced.
- Replacement of delaminated stucco.
- Power washing of all stucco surfaces to remove dirt, salts, and other surface contaminants.
- Scuff sanding of factory-finished aluminum window and sliding door frames to remove corroded metal.
- Removal and replacement of sealants surrounding the window/door frames.
- A 100-square-foot mock-up on the ground level to test surface adhesion, inter-coat adhesion, mil thicknesses and color/sheen matching against project specifications.
- Roller application of two coats of NeverFade W-1500 Primer (total 1 mil dry thickness) and one coat of NeverFade Original Restoration Topcoat (total 2 mil dry thickness) to all stucco surfaces.
- Roller application of two coats of NeverFade W-1650 Bonding Primer and one coat of NeverFade Metal Restoration Topcoat to all metal window and door frames.
- Final walkthroughs with building management and the building maintenance supervisor, City of Hollywood Building Department, and owner representative Paramount Consulting.
The Capital crewCapital Contractor Services of Hallandale, Florida, was engaged to give the luxury building a facelift and restore its luster. The Capital crew took special care to limit inconveniences to residents and ensure their safety throughout the project. When and where possible, they restricted residents’ ground access in the areas being worked on. When that wasn’t possible—in pool and beach walkway areas and active driveways—Capital utilized overhead scaffolding with netting or plywood to protect residents and vehicles. The coatings’ low-VOC content and low odor also kept tenant inconvenience to a minimum.
To maintain project site safety during coastal storms that packed high winds, Capital completely de-mobilized the project—removing all equipment—and re-mobilized four times through the project.
A high-performance coating is critical for white exterior surfaces, especially in high humidity environments, when latex and urethane paints break down and the paint film turns chalky, it is not always noticeable against the white surface, but the paint is losing its protective qualities.
DurabilityThe long-lasting, color retention performance of NeverFade means the building owners won’t incur the expense and disruption of repainting every five years or so, as is typical with acrylic-based latex coatings in coastal Florida. Plus, the coating’s low surface energy and strong molecular bonds give it the durability to resist the dirt, bugs, mold, and mildew that can turn its vibrant exterior into a maintenance-intensive eyesore.
It can be difficult to find an exterior coating that stands up to the high humidity, extreme UV rays and corrosive power of salt spray for more than five years without fading. NeverFade Coatings have given the Trump Hollywood Building a clean, fresh exterior in a custom-color matched shade of white, with a high level of gloss to make the white pop and will continue to protect the home-owners investment for many years to come.
Protect your Investment with NeverFade® coatings powered by Kynar Aquatec®
Kynar Aquatec® and Kynar 500® are registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.
© Copyright 2021 Arkema Inc. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 2021 Arkema Inc. All rights reserved.